Update on Relocation of Camp Strake
We are very excited to report that the Land Procurement Committee, co-chaired by Steve Strake and Stan Stanley, has selected a site for the new Camp Strake. This site is under contract for purchase. The contract which was presented by Steve Strake and Stan Stanley, was approved by the Executive Committee at its meeting on Thursday, March 28. The selected site consists of 1,442 acres and is conveniently located between I-45 and Highway 59 near the community of Evergreen. It is surrounded on three sides by Sam Houston National Forest. The purchase of this property is subject to the following:
- the due diligence study of the site being satisfactorily completed
- selling the property of the current site of Camp Strake for enough money to buy this land, build a new state-of-the-art Camp Strake for 21st century Scouts and their leaders, and to endow the new Camp Strake.
Our broker, Jones Lang LaSalle, which was selected by the Land Disposition Committee to market the current site of Camp Strake began to market the property on March 22. After a thorough period of marketing the property, a sealed bid process will be used to sell it. This is a very exciting time for the Sam Houston Area Council as we have found a wonderful site for the new Camp Strake that will provide a transformational outdoor adventure experience to help equip young people with a foundation for leadership. The new Camp Strake is an exciting pivot point in the history of Sam Houston Area Council. With a new Camp Strake, Sam Houston Area Council is committed to:
- Being relevant to our customer: today’s and tomorrow’s youth
- Staying connected with our customer to build lifelong relationships
- Continuing a leadership position in youth development.
We will continue to provide updates on the relocation of Camp Strake as progress is made.