Prior to taking online training, leaders should enter their member ID
in their MyScouting profile, along with the council number for Sam Houston Area Council (576). This will insure that completion records for future online training will automatically upload into their training database.
New leaders who do not yet have a member ID should likewise report any training completed prior to entering their member ID to their district training chair so that they may receive credit for courses completed.
All Scouting leaders (Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturers/Sea Scouts) must take the Youth Protection course in the online learning center, contained in the MyScouting portal. Visit www.myscouting.org to access this training plus other courses. If you are having trouble logging on, please call the BSA's National Web Help Desk at 1-972-580-2267.
Scouting offers online versions of many of its new leader training courses, through the MyScouting
portal at www.myscouting.org
- Fast Start Training for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venturing leaders and unit commissioners
- Youth Protection Training
- This is Scouting
- Troop Committee Challenge
- Cub Scout Leader Specific Training
- Safe Swim Defense
- Safety Afloat
- Weather Hazards
- Climb on Safely
- Trek Safely
- Physical Wellness
- Staffing the District Committee
While most online courses are offered through MyScouting, several "non-certification" courses may also be found at the BSA Online Learning Center
To complete training via MyScouting:
- If you do not already have a My Scouting account, you will need to create one (using your email address as your login). This account will give you direct access to e-learning courses (and other options, depending on your profile).
- Scouting volunteers: To set up a new account, have your council number (Sam Houston Area Council = 576) and personal member ID handy (from your registration card) when creating your account. This will ensure that you receive proper credit for courses completed successfully.
An account may be set up and online learning completed without your personal member ID. However, to receive credit for the course in the council database, you must then present your training completion card to your district training chair so that he or she can submit a Training Status Update Report to the council.